Tuesday 2 September 2008

Communication

For the first time whilst travelling, I have been feeling incredibly isolated. Perhaps it is because this time around I have additional baggage that has it's own wants (namely two children and a husband) - but I think it's because I am truly lost with the language - for the first time ever. Even when travelling in eastern europe, I may not have known the language, but between the languages I do know I was able to communicate on a basic level (I particularly remember chatting with a waiter in a restaurant in Bosnia or Bulgaria, in German as that was our common language, about the black and brown-outs being experienced in the US that summer - something that amazed this guy about the US). I did buy myself a "little red book" - tourist chinese if you will - that has helped somewhat, however I really am feeling the lack of education as the pronunciation is worth a lot in this language.

I am really missing my US friends right about now.

4 comments:

lyndall said...

Lys, it will be ok. We would all be there in a flash if we could. You are great with languages, and it won't be long until you are amongst Chinese friends who can help you out. I cannot even imagine how it feels. We are all sending you some "happy vibes" and hope that you are feeling better soon. Big hugs & kisses from Me & Pip, and licks from Obi & Yoda!

The Atkisson Family said...

I am so sorry- it is one thing to be "alone", it is another to be "lonely". It is such a horrible, desperate feeling. I admire you, and the strength you have had through all of this. I think it is a wonderful opportunity, but can't even imagine how you are feeling right about now. I can call China for only one cent a minute----- need a friendly call from another hemisphere?????? (Seriously)

30 Going on Fabulous said...

Hi Alyssa!

I am so glad to be catching up on what's going on. I feel for you, but let me just say... if I had to pick a person that can do this, it's you, honestly. In all the time we've known each other, I have been continuously impressed with how much you know and how quickly you learn things. I have no doubt that it's just a matter of time before you have a new posse out there and you're throwing Mandarin left and right *wink*! :-)

Jennie said...

We miss you too! Just hang in there. BTW, David has a Skype account. We could talk sometime if that would help.

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia