Monday 29 September 2008

Empowerment

Although the Monday of "Golden Week" public holiday, Brett had to work interviewing 50 prospective WISE students - which was a full day of work (leaving before 7.30am and not getting home until after we were all in bed). So I had both kids plus two cleaners coming in the afternoon.

After a reasonable day, it was time to venture to our usual hole-in-the-wall "restaurant" to get dinner. First the security guards at the entrance to the complex wanted to say hello to Alex and Sebastien, as they always do, though tonight if I'd had long skirts on Alex would have had her face well and truly hidden. As it was, she scooted around behind me faster than anything I've seen and as I turned around to make sure she wouldn't get hit by a car, I tripped over her and almost fell to the ground - I was able to stay somewhat upright (lucky for Sebastien) but Alex was prostrate. We continued on our merry way around the block to get dinner.

Tonight we had every man and his dog wanted to talk to us, say Alex's name (I'm wondering how they knew that - Brett??) and that we were Australian. Alex's discomfit was exceedingly obvious so I thought that it was time to let her know a key phrase - "Bu yao" or "I don't want" - which, as soon as I said it smilingly to the people, they nodded and withdrew a little repeating it. We'd been understood. We chose dinner and Alex was happy to get the hell away - though she was full of questions about what they were saying, doing etc. So I emphasised to her that if she was uncomfortable with people approaching her, she should say "Bu yao" and shake her head. She was keen to try it out with the guards on the way back into the complex - and did so. They didn't hear her well, but once I repeated it with a smile, they nodded and smilingly waved her on - "bu yao, bu yao".

Progress...

No comments:

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia