Saturday 27 September 2008

Finessing Squat Toilets

Can it be done? (I came across this blog post as I researched online - and thought it both hilarious and perilously close to the truth. Plus the photo is accurate of the majority of squats I've come across thus far.)

I can't claim to be an expert because, quite frankly, I endeavour to do my business at home where we have a "western toilet". The few times I have ventured into a squat have been because Alex needed to go - though every time she has changed her mind upon seeing the available toilet selection. It started off ok, though - Hong Kong Airport was the first encounter with a squat potty. Very clean, Alex had no qualms. Our next exposure was at the hospital where Brett and I had to have our Entry Healthcheck - quite disgustingly dirty, the more so because it was a hospital (no matter which hospital we've been to - and so far it's four - we've always been told by someone with us not to put our bags etc on the ground or allow Sebastien to crawl around as it's dirty). The next time was at a restaurant that had only the one toilet, occupied for some time by one male employee. Alex baulked when she saw him finally coming out and stated that those toilets are for boys...

Apparently some progress has been made though as Alex has told us that she's been to the potty (trench) at school once or twice - all other days of the past month have involved "holding it" until she got home.

I still haven't gotten used to carrying tissues around with me as no toilet paper is provided. But if I do find myself needing to use a squat - I've read my instructions!

Oh, and if you do come across a western toilet, likely as not it's been squatted on as many people don't know how westerners use it.

5 comments:

White-Graham Family said...

Oh! That explains the instructions for our toilets on the back of the University toilet stall doors. I always wondered why someone would stand on the toilet? Good luck with this one. I'm with Alex and I would be holding all day if I had to. The 'instructions' sound a little scary - "splash back" and "no locks" - I'm so nieve and I think I like it that way.

Tina said...

OMG! I Loved that blog!! It was hilarious! DId you get a chance to read all of the comments? I tried to get through all of them but there were so many! I loved the people who told us Westerners to "grow up" "squatting is natural and great for bowel elimination" LOL Hippies....
That may be true.. but there's no way that most men who sit on the toilet for a half hour at a time with their magazine are gonna like that explanation! LOL
I'm so sorry Alyssa!! You are a tough gal! Alex.. you're a trooper girlie! Miss you guys! You can come back and use my potty anytime!

Donita said...

I got flashbacks from the squats I had to use in Italy after getting dysentary. ugh... I could never get used to not totally de-clothing myself inorder not to pee all over them! My heart goes out to you!

Anonymous said...

You're braver than me, I was there for two weeks and I never used a squat toilet.
My longest 'between' time was two days.

It amazes me that such an inventive culture never got beyond a hole in the ground...

James

30 Going on Fabulous said...

Hi Alyssa,

I nearly split a seam!! I think we can now bond on a higher level, as I faced the exact same thing during my 2 years in India, and let me tell you, you never get used to it! :-) Once, I even got chased out by an old cleaning woman screaming at me b/c she thought I'd peed all over the floor. Of course it wasn't me, I was a pro at the whole left-hand/right-hand thing by then and could even juggle a purse and a second handbag by then! Though I could never shake the fear of slipping and having my foot (or worse) dip into that goop *shudder*. Anyways, hang in there, you'll be an expert in no time!! Miss you guys a LOT.

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia