Thursday 21 February 2008

Close-Knit Community

I've joined a programme where we live that will (re)teach me how to knit. Having been brought up with a crafty mum and nanna, it was galling to realise I don't have a crafty bone in my body. Much effort went into learning the intricacies of knitting, only to produce a quasi-rectangle that was sewn into a bag shape. My childhood efforts ended and I haven't been tempted to pick up needles again even throughout two pregnancies. Until now. I have to knit 4 units (child scarf, pair of mittens, hat = 1 each; adult hat, pair of mittens, scarf = 2 each) from donated yarn and then we will learn how to knit baby sweaters. My thinking is that baby sweaters will teach me any sweater - since following a pattern is, shall we say, part of my problem ;). Anyway, here is a photo of the beginning - two skeins of yarn (one already re-rolled), the needles and guage piece plus practice ribbing. I have two months to complete the 4 units...the clock is ticking!

2 comments:

lyndall said...

Love the yarn on the right! It's beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished products....... I think I got the crafty bones that you & Chelle missed out on! It won't take much for you to get crafty though - then you can look forward to your house becoming full of boxes and shelves full of UFO's (unfinished objects) Good luck!

Donita said...

Good for you for taking this on. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia