Thursday 20 May 2010

Student gifts

It seems that Brett brings a gift home from a student every other month. This time, one of his students had received some food items from their family that they wanted to share. First, the least unusual one - well, aside from the head still being attached.
And now, for those who truly enjoy a culinary adventure:
This is dog stewed in turtle juice. Yep. Something that is quite a delicacy - some say. And they do, on the back of the package:
"Our product, "Dog Meat Stewde with Turtle Jioce" has been widely acdaimed in China. There are many old sayings in eulogy of our product, among which the most distinetive are: "On smelling the scent of the dog meat boiled in pot, it is hard even for a celestial being to calm down". Click the photo to see a larger image and read it all for yourself.

Overselling? Could you oversell Dog Meat Stewde with Turtle Jioce?

Brett was all enthused about trying it - and it hung around the house for weeks - but he tells me that he had to throw it out...because it had expired.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG!! That's one reason I would never eat anything with meat over there. You know how I feel about my dogs.
Toni

Jennie said...

Wow. Just wow. That's either the best or worst Chinglish I have ever heard of. I just shared it with a friend. Let me know if I can post it on facebook. A long letter back to you is coming, I promise :)

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia