Friday 24 October 2008

Coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, a little excited perhaps. Or maybe it's just because I've just had my first "real" coffee since getting to China.

Found my way over to the Marco Polo Hotel (supposed to be expat neighborhood) this morning (9th September when I started this post) with Sebastien and lo and behold. Cafe district!

A row of about 5 coffee houses plus several non-chinese restaurants that also sell coffee were sitting awaiting my discovery.
Of course, being a western want, a basic black coffee costs around 30元 which is close enough to US$5 to go "ouch" (remember that our evening meal is around 6-7元 to feed all of us). So this is not something that I'll be doing every day but definitely a once a week pilgrimage thing.Even better, the first coffee house I actually went into (as opposed to just walking by) called Javaromas (love the arty design for the coffee cup on their website) is owned by an Australian (I had my suspicions when I noticed a cluster of Australian aboriginal wall art on the wall after I sat down).They are halfway across the city (I am still yet to come across a coffee house anywhere near the university) and have free wi-fi too so one of my days off - when I leave the kids behind with Brett to look after - I'll grab the computer and do some decent surfing over a couple of coffees. This is one that combines red wine and coffee - my kind of outfit! Bliss.

3 comments:

lyndall said...

Wow! That Javaromas website looks waaaaay too yummy! Wish there was something like that here. THey even have yummy New Zealand Icecream! Maybe that could be a place for birthdays in the future? Glad you found something Lys - a good coffee is priceless!

White-Graham Family said...

Apart from Rick, we don't understand the love for coffee..but I do understand the love for anything 'Western' at this stage. I think you have found your 'haven'. Boys can't wait to see you guys next weekend! Travel safe.

Ann BF said...

I loved Javaramas too. But for coffee near the university..Brown Sugar -- tucked back into the neighborhood where the China Post Office is (never could remember the name of the street)--turn right when you get to the end and its down a bit on the right -- also western food and Wifi. There is also a place in the inner coutyard of Daxue Sheng (tall bldgs opposite the West Gate.
Happy caffiene!

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia