Tuesday 21 October 2008

China snacks

I have been trying to bring home a "mystery item" each time I go shopping to broaden our experience of the food here - and it usually truly is mystery as it's got no english nor pinyin on the package to help determine what might be inside (the only help being which aisle it was located in). But I had a yearning for something salty and thought I'd check out the chips selection here - yikes! Not quite your usual flavours I thought I'd play it safe and stick with the fruit and vegies flavours first...here is a small selection:










In keeping with how chinese view the world, just as with ying and yang there are cool and warm things - so the first photo shows the cool cucumber flavour and the warm mango flavour (I was so excited to find that - not so excited once I tasted it). The next picture is of the tube chips - pringles pesto italiano and the cucumber again, but my favourite one so far is the lime one - I just needed a shot of tequila to go with it and it would have been perfect!

And here you never have anything nearly so boring as a "plain" flavour - instead:














"potato flavour"! In case you wondered what it was - heh.

2 comments:

lyndall said...

mmmmmmm potato....

The Atkisson Family said...

the lime one sounds pretty good. What interesting flavor choices.....

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia