Tuesday 11 December 2007

Uh oh...I'm in trouble...

I spoke too soon in my post on 6th December...

Imagine you've just had an interrupted night's sleep - your no-longer-newborn has started refusing to take the bottle so you've been bottle feeding in solidarity with your husband - and your husband has kindly let you sleep in until late morning...

You arise, go out to the living room and ask how the morning has gone, to be greeted with -

"That depends...how good a mood are you in?"

Your husband takes you into the kids' bedroom and this is the sight that you behold:

Sebastien's pack'n play where he sleeps...

Alex's inner circle of friends (thankfully Koala had spent the night in the living room) of Baby, Giggles and Teddy Bear plus Sebastien's circle of friends and a library book (already removed by the time this photo was taken)...

A close up of Giggles and Baby with their "medicine" on them "because they were sick"...

And a final shot of Teddybear - covered in the medicine ie Desitin (40% zinc oxide plus petroleum jelly).

What to say...words failed me. Apparently Alex was put in her room in a "time out" by Brett - and when he went in a little later, he was greeted by her saying "my friends were sick, daddy". Quite.

Notice the Desitin on the back wall of the pack'n play? Well, when Alex was asked whether she'd climbed into the crib (something we've told her again and again not to do - especially with Sebastien sharing her room) she said "no..." then we asked her to retrieve something out of the crib, upon which she stood up on her potty and started to climb in...only to realise what she was doing and hurredly remove her leg out of the crib - an "a-ha!" moment indeed.

So now what to do? Words failed me and initially I wanted to "ground" her all the rest of her days...problem is that "grounds" me too - as I've discovered - as I said no playgroup outings for the week. And she has really no concept of that being a punishment related to her "bad choice". So her friends have been removed from her (initially to see if we could clean off the Desitin but also as she can't treat them with respect) and also all library books have been returned to the library for the same reason.

Now, if anyone has a remedy to remove Desitin from teddy bears...

PS: all photos were taken when she was in the bathroom getting cleaned up herself...no need for her to know that we were quietly amused (eventually) with her antics.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Hi Lys,
I found this very quickly when I googled, which makes me think this is not the first time Desitin has been used by 'unqualified nurses' ;-)

"You should be able to remove Desitin ointment from clothing by first scraping off as much of the ointment as possible with a dull knife. Then, pour some baking powder on the spot, give it time to absorb the grease, then brush off. Saturate the stain with liquid laundry detergent or a laundry stain remover. Wash as usual."

The Atkisson Family said...

Oh my!! I hadn't checked in for a couple of days, so I had no idea what extreme you were referring to when talking about this tonight. Again, all I can say is, Oh my!!

Brett Graham said...

See what happens when Mummy has a little sleep in. Things go pear-shaped within 2 hours.

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia