Friday 7 March 2008

What a way to learn consequences...

Today has been a big day for us. First off to playgroup at our friends' house, followed by running errands. Onto an International Scholars event on campus and then afterwards an evening playgroup. When we had finished lunch and were about to set out to the campus event and the playgroup, I asked Alex whether she'd put her socks back on, having taken them off before lunch. She told me yes.

We arrived at the MacDonalds Playpalace for playgroup and bought dinner: "I'd like a small fries, some hamburger and a serviette please mummy."

Of course I am "that" kind of mum who makes their child eat their dinner first then place afterwards so we reach the stage of the evening when Alex is 1/4 hamburger away from playing on the play equipment - and she takes off her boots - to bare feet. Now we are seated right next to the sign that says it is an Illinois Health Dept requirement that socks are worn on the equipment - and a smaller sign that says "SOCKS MUST BE WORN ON PLAYPALACE". So I tell Alex that I'm sorry, but she isn't wearing socks and that she therefore cannot play on the equipment. Her bottom lip quivers, tears well and she asks "Why?" (currently her favorite question - but that's another story). I point out the sign and explain what it says and what it means. A flood of tears and hearty crying ensues - repeated questions about why bare feet aren't allowed.
I ask her "When we left home and I asked you whether you'd put your socks on, what did you say?"
Alex: "Yes"
Me: "Are you wearing socks now?"
A: "No" (sniffle)
Me: "So why did you say that you were wearing socks?"
A: "I don't know"
Me: "Because if you told me the truth I would have brought a spare pair and you would be able to play on the equipment - but now you can't because we have no socks."
A: "My socks are at home...on the floor...but I WANT to play"
Me: "That's what happens when you don't tell mummy the truth.
Cue meltdown.

Hell of a way to learn consequences.

1 comment:

Dori said...

Most people don't realize, but they do sell socks at McDonalds for just this reason. Last time I checked I think it was something like .50 or .99, for a basic pair of kids tube socks. OK, in this situation you would have missed a great learning opportunity (!), but I think it's worth it those times in the summer you arrive at McDonalds only to realize Mommy forgot all her kids were in sandals...

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia