Friday 5 March 2010

I'm Chinese

Have we really been here more than a year already? Perhaps no further proof was needed than listening to a Chinese lady quiz Alex on the bus about herself and hear Alex reply to "Where are you from?" with "I'm Chinese."

I did a double take and then corrected her (in Chinese) saying that she was from Australia, she was Australian. The lady almost didn't hear me she was laughing so hard. I guess she had figured Alex definitely wasn't Chinese! I'm thinking that this is something that she's heard in the playground/at school and has therefore taken it for herself. Afterall, she wouldn't be hearing anyone saying that they were anything other than Chinese there.

Alex and I had a nice little conversation then about where she (and Sebastien) were from - with her insisting that she was MADE in Australia but BORN in America - and wasn't she "lucky to have two worlds". Out of the mouths of babes!

No comments:

Xiamen University, China

Xiamen University, China
Our home away from Australia